The Qur’an challenges those who deny the existence of the Creator under the pretext that it must be admitted by human intellect. This fact can never be rejected by any sound human intellect. Allah Almighty says,
Or were they created by nothing, or were they the creators [of themselves]? Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Rather, they are not certain. [Al-Tur: 35-36].
Allah Almighty tells them that there is no doubt about your own existence and that of heavens and earth.
It is established in the human mind that everything that exists in the universe is evidence on the presence of its Creator. For example, the sky containing great stars and the different paths on earth prove the existence of Allah, the Ever-Knowing, The Acquainted. The great biologists and researchers realize his fact.
- The law of cause and effect:
This law states that nothing among that which exists came into existence by its own self nor had the ability to affect other things around. This may be represented in the following example:
– Years ago, the sand dunes in the Empty Quarter desert [al-Rubi’ al-khali desert] were removed by wind and it revealed the traces of a city that was buried under the sand. Geologists, at that time, tried their best in searching for its components and knowing the age in which it was built. It didn’t cross the mind of any of those geologists or others that this city was found thanks to the elements of nature such as wind, rain, heat, cold and it was not a manmade work. On the contrary, if anyone claimed that this city was emerged due the elements of nature, people will make fun of him and feel pity for him. So, what would be the case if someone says that this city was found naturally in the air and then it settled on earth after the passage of time? This statement is rather stranger that its previous. This is because it is something innate that nothing could come to existence by its own self. Therefore, the city must have been built by wise clever builders.
– Another example, the human mind can accept that a person may ascend the stairs of a building, because mankind has the ability to move and do that. However, we assert that a stone could not move by its own self to ascend the stairs of a building.
One of the amazing things that people assert is that a city can never be found without a founder and it is impossible for a stone to move from down to up stairs; however, they agree that the entire universe is found without a maker. Nevertheless, founding and creating this universe is greater and more complex than anything else upon earth. Allah Almighty says:
The creation of the heavens and earth is greater than the creation of mankind, but most of the people do not know. [Ghafir: 57].
However, when arguing with those who deny these facts on logical scientific basis, they have no choice except admitting or continuing in stubbornness.
Scholars of Islam were and still face the polytheists through this perspective of logic and intellect. A Muslim scholar once said to a group of disbelievers: do you accept the argument of someone who says that a ship loaded with goods run through the waves of the sea in a windy day without a navigator or a crew? They replied: this cannot be accepted by the human mind. Thereupon, the scholar wondered: Oh Allah Most Exalted! If it is not perceived by the human mind that the ship can never run through the waves of the sea without a navigator, so, how could this entire world with all its different conditions and spaces can be found without a maker or protector?! They said: we believe in what you said and they repented.
This is the law that the human mind accepts and submits itself to it as it is asserted in the noble verse that reads: Or were they created by nothing, or were they the creators [of themselves]? [Al-Tur: 35]. This evidence obliges all people of intellect to admit that there is a Creator who deserves to be worshipped. This fact is depicted in a perfect effective manner that penetrates and shakes one’s soul.
Jubayr Ibn Mut’im said: “I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) reciting Surat al-Tur while he was leading the Maghreb prayer and when he reached those verses: Or were they created by nothing, or were they the creators [of themselves]? Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Rather, they are not certain. Or have they the depositories [containing the provision] of your Lord? Or are they the controllers [of them]? [Al-Tur: 35-37] “my heart was almost rent asunder.” [Reported by Al-Bukhari in his Sahih].
– Abu Sulaiman al-Khatabi commentary on the above mentioned verses of Surat al-Tur:
Al-Bayhaqi said: Abu Sulaiman al-Khatabi said:”The reason why Jubayer trembled upon hearing these verses is because he realized its real meaning and comprehended the great evidence it implies on the existence of the Creator.”
Al-Khatabi commented on the verse no.35 of surat al-Tur by saying: “Or were they created by nothing, or were they the creators [of themselves]? It is never perceivable that all these creatures came to existence without a creator since it is necessary for everything that exists to have a creator or maker. So, did those who deny the existence of Allah the Creator create themselves? This is the utmost degrees of corruption and falsehood because they can never do it nor have the ability to. Therefore, their claim is refuted and all the creations that exist stand as a proof against it and they have to know that there is a creator in whom they should believe. Then he said: (Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Rather, they are not certain.) [Al-Tur-36] this verse asserts that the claims of those polytheists are certainly in vain since they cannot create the heavens and earth. So, all proofs are against them.”
– The Qur’an teaches us the art of dialogue with disbelievers to prove the existence of Allah:
Have you not considered the one who argued with Abraham about his Lord [merely] because Allah had given him kingship? When Abraham said, “My Lord is the one who gives life and causes death,” he said, “I give life and cause death.” Abraham said, “Indeed, Allah brings up the sun from the east, so bring it up from the west.” So the disbeliever was overwhelmed [by astonishment], and Allah does not guide the wrongdoing people. [Al-Baqarah: 258].
Therefore, when a disbeliever claims that he created himself, let him prove that he created the heavens and earth.
Based on this, if he could neither create himself nor the heavens nor the earth who can never in turn create themselves; hence, all of these creations should have a maker. This maker and creator is Allah the Almighty.
– How the experimental sciences evaluate this law:
The nature and abilities of mankind cannot follow and encompass all the stages of causes and effects in order to reach the beginning of creation. Therefore, experimental sciences failed to know the origin of things and it drew itself back declaring the victory of the unseen that both ignorant and people of knowledge ignore.
– The human mind must confess the existence of Allah, the Creator of all that Which exists:
Admitting the human failure to reach the beginning of creation is confronted with a certainty that every human mind admit either willingly or unwillingly; namely, whatever reasons are, there must be something eternal which is considered the first and last and brought everything to existence.